Sunday 17 February 2008

Neeeeeearly 15 miles...

Oh, sooooo neeeeeearly !! Today I did 14.75 miles. It took me 3 hours and 28 minutes. I was glad to be finished in less than 3 1/2 hours, but I should have been a lot faster. The first 10 were fine, but there were a lot of hills and I just sort of ran out of places to go. It sounds ridiculous doesn't it ?

I have decided to run my long runs at the same time that the Marathon takes place - so that my body can get used to it. I'm gutted really as Sunday is the one day where I can lie in and enjoy my bed. Still, only 8 more weeks ( Oh God ) and then I can be a complete slob. I got up early today and ate my healthy breakfast of porridge with honey and sliced bananas, dressed up warm and off I went. Slow, slow, slow is the way I run. I do occasionally get overtaken by elderly people in those electric wheelchairs, and quite often by people walking dogs...

I split the run up into 3 lots of 5 miles in my head. My new Garmin GPS thingy is wonderful as it beeps every mile. The first 10 miles were fine, as I said. The last 5 were hard. Not only was I unsure of where to run to make up the miles and end up at home, my knee started to hurt. Its never hurt before, but this really slowed me down. So much that I had to walk the last 2 and 1/2 miles. Downhill was especially sore, which is a bugger because I'm good at downhill - especially when I wear those heelie things...

Still, it was ok as long as I didn't run, so I strode out like the Amazon you all know I am. With a mile to go I phoned my Man and demanded tea and bubble bath. Well, when I say demanded... As I hobbled down the hill to my house all of my boys and the neighbours were out waiting for me !!! They cheered as I reached home and I fell into the arms of my beloved... Well, they did cheer, but I didn't fall into his arms as I was far too sweaty and it wouldn't have been nice...

Tomorrow I have the Sports Masseur so lets hope hard that my knee is ok...

No comments: