Saturday 13 October 2007

Hiding behind bushes ??!!

I have just come back from my run. It was supposed to be 40 minutes, but I was back after 37. It started ok and I managed to get up the long hill just fine. This starting slow and warming up method seems to be working! After about 25 minutes I was just starting to feel a bit weary when I saw someone I knew.

We went out last night for dinner at some friends. The other husbands turned out to be pretty fit blokes. One was a triathlete and the other had done a marathon and other races. Both were fit, successful men. I don't know why, but I felt a bit intimidated when it was mentioned that I was doing the London Marathon. Don't get me wrong, it was me who just didn't have the self confidence to be proud of what I'm doing. I think that I am so afraid of failing that sometimes I put myself down before anyone else can. The 2 men were very encouraging, but I just felt ug.

So, you can imagine how I felt ( or maybe you can't ) when at 25 minutes and feeling weary, I saw one of them out for a walk ! And do you know my first instinct ? As I ran towards him I knew he hadn't seen me yet. To my left was a pathway complete with thick bushes. My first instinct was to jump in the bushes and hide!! Oh my God !!!! How pathetic is that ?

Luckily that impulse lasted only a split second as I decided I'd be less embarrassed seen running than seen hiding. So I waved cheerily and shouted hello. Then quickened my pace and disappeared up the road. When I was absolutely sure he was gone I slowed to a panting gasping walk.

I think I may need some sort of therapy.

3 comments:

Sue said...

LOL - I'm just the same. Speed up when overtaking somebody even if I don't know them and slow down when out of sight!

Erika said...

This story made my chuckle. Because it's so true. It's so easy to appreciate other people's accomplishments but not always do we see it in ourselves.

And thanks for the encouragement while I've been sick. It's nice to get a little message on my blog.

Unknown said...

I am so glad that I am not alone !! Thanks girls. S