Friday 21 March 2008

Nearly there...

After 8 months of training I am nearly there. When I first started this, in August, and I looked ahead at the training runs of 14, 16, 18 and 20 miles, they seemed like distant, unachievable goals. Now, on the eve of my 20 mile run I can look back in amazement that I have completed 3/4 of those long runs.

I am still nervous about tomorrow and I am about to try and work out my route. When I have run the 20 miles I will be ecstatic. There is still a part of me that doubts myself, but I can't allow that to surface. A massive part of all of this is confidence and belief that I can and will do this.

The Marathon is 3 weeks on Sunday and I just want it to arrive now. My 18 mile run gave me a huge boost that I can complete the 20 miles and from there the 26.2. Oh my God !!

People around me are being so supportive, calling me things like " amazing, mad, inspiring ". I find it really embarrassing. I don't see myself as anything other than a little ploddy housewife, certainly not a runner. I want to become a runner. My ambition after this is to run a sub 1 hour 10 k, to keep running and to learn to run properly.

Another thing that I have started to think about is the finish. I always imagined myself running down the Mall with lots of people cheering, but I am beginning to worry that there won't be anyone left there by the time I arrive ! Seriously, its going to be 6 hours before I get there. Who's going to wait about for us plodders ? Will it be as amzing as I had hoped ? And, yes, I am a shallow person, I know, but I want to feel that feeling !!

Well, next time I write, I hope, will be when I've done my 20 miles. Fingers crossed.

No comments: