Sunday 17 May 2009

Help...Achilles tendon problems...need advice!!

I haven't run this week as my Achilles tendons have felt sore.The right one is worse than the left which seems to be getting better.I have been stretching and went to see the doctor on Wednesday who said theyw ere inflamed and needed rest.Bugger.


So, I haven't done anything until today when the temptation of football was too great.And I have to say it may have been a mistake as my right ankle is throbbing.Any ideas or experience on this anyone?I don't want to turn into a blob, but I don't want to injure myself badly.Think I will have to Google it...

5 comments:

Gail said...

I have no idea but do google. Hope your problem resolves itself soon.

Love the photo at the top!

Unknown said...

Glad you like the photo!!S

will said...

I damaged my Achilles tenon while running ... several years ago and it still hurts while doing certain exercises or walking up/down stairs.

My advice, see a doc and then a therapist. The sooner it's treated the better the healing - altho I think once damaged it will always be susceptible to future injury.

I have a bunch of leg and ankle stretches I need to do - and lots of ice. The therapist sometimes does electro stim on the tenon area while applying heat to the upper leg.

A nice ice trick is to fill a small Dixie cup with water, when frozen peel some of the top paper away, hold it on the lower paper and gently rub the injured area with the exposed iced. Have a towel nearby.

Unknown said...

Thank you Bill.I have seen the doctor and am continuing to rest it, but I may well go to a physio if it doesn't get a lot better soon!I will try your tips.I hope yours is not too painful.S

will said...

I forgot to mention ... there are various inserts and replacement sole pads for shoes that do help. One company, "Super Feet" http://www.superfeet.com/ makes inserts for a variety of shoes - walking, running, etc. I got mine at REI in Seattle - they also have a mail order catalog. They cost about $40.